|the hanging of the advent calendar!|
i got this great idea of a "doing" advent calendar from pinterest (of course) and their are plenty of versions and ideas making the rounds and several i pinned to my christmas is coming board. the ideas i particularly liked were from all things simple and the crafting chicks. i can't use the winter activities but it did make me think of a few summer activities we could do as a family instead. below is a list of the things we are going to do during december (and i made sure they were well matched to the book advent countdown as well!):
- EVERYBODY write to santa (this will be done after dinner as a family, it's actually already a family tradition we have done for years, the kids think the adult letters to santa are hilarious)
- make something for two friends and drop it off to them
- make eggnog loaf and decorate the tree (we always do this as a family as everyone has their own ornaments to hang as we each get a new one on christmas eve)
- watch it's a wonderful life
- make a hot chocolate bar
- fish and chips at the beach
- go to franklin road to see the christmas lights
- make christmas tarts
- enjoy the santa parade
- do some baking together and gift to the neighbours
- build a gingerbread house
- make pancakes for breakfast
- drive around to see the local christmas lights
- play a game of petanque
- get your santa hats we are off to the parade
- roast marshmellows on the brazier
- make a christmas pizza in the pizza oven
- go to the new release christmas movie
- watch a christmas movie of DAD's choice!
- watch a christmas movie of GRANNY's choice!
- decorate gingerbread men
- go to dunkin donut's for a christmas donut
- go to the garden store and plant something red in the garden
- make a holiday gift for the postman from all the family
i loved the garland advent calendar the crafting chicks came up with for their countdown and decided to use that idea of their's as well.
|you need small envelopes, pattern paper, mini pegs, and|
|and from right to left this is what i did to make each|
day's envelope tag!
|i had some help hanging it up in our classrom!|
outcome: well the garland looks great, the activities are sorted, now we just need to wait and see if it has the desired effect of giving everyone a big dose of christmas spirit through the holidays. most days these activities will take place after dinner so the whole family will be their to participate. i am really hoping this will spread goodwill and cheer to not only those i live with but also our family and friends ... until the 25th though, this creation is definitely pending!